Thread: Jim Clark's 1980 TR8 Project

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Jim Clark's 1980 TR8 Project 
    Little Brit
    Hi, I just joined this forum. It looks like the Wedge Shop is a good source for modified TR8 information. I have owned Triumphs since I was 16, in 1974. This is my second wedge. The first was an '80 TR7 convertible. I had to sell it when I got divorced 10 years ago. I have always wanted an eight. My new wife thought that I should have one, but she is making me work for it. This car was owned by a friend of mine, it was pretty nice 10 years ago. We lost touch and shortly after that he parked it. It was outdoors with no protection and the top wasn't even latched to the windshield. I cleaned up a lot of rotting leaves and moss before taking it to my garage.The person that owned it before him did the requisite Edlebrock/Holley upgrade along with headers and a Monza exhaust. Hand made fiberglass flares cover the 15 inch 3 piece Epsilon wheels. All I have done so far is rebuilt the brake master and rear brakes. The front rotors need to be replaced. The clutch hydraulics are shot. The interior needs to be completely redone. The paint and custom flares need redoing too.

It does run, kind of, I rebuilt the Holley because the floats were stuck and gas poured out the top of it. Well it doesn't do that anymore but it only seems to run while on the choke. I'm thinking of replacing the Holley with an Edelbrock. A couple guys in the Triumph club here in Portland have done that and say that they are a lot less trouble. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

2. #2 It has been coming along 
    Little Brit
    Well, it doesn't look much different than it did in the above photos. I have replaced the Holley with an Edelbrock. I ended up needing to replace the brake master too because the rebuild wasn't successful. Front and rear brakes are done. The clutch master and slave were replaced. The Monza exhaust was just tips and not the whole exhaust. It was just a couple of glass packs and an H-pipe. It has been replaced with new 2.5 inch pipes and glass packs. It is a bit loud though. I just finished redoing the gas tank and fuel pump and sender. Whew, I have been driving it a lot with the current nice weather here in the Northwest. With any luck it'll be going into the body shop tomorrow for body work and paint.

Looks Nice, really Like the fender Flares. I noticed your MSD box is on the fender well, most are not water proof.

Thanks
    Woody
    The Wedge Shop
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

Little Brit
    Thanks Woody. That's good to know about the MSD box. It was in the car when I bought it and the car had sat out in the weather for 8 years or so. It seems to work okay. I replaced the old Bosch Platinum plugs with new plain Champion N12Y's. I gapped them at .040, I'm thinking I should have stayed with a platinum plug or gone .050 on the gap. It seems to run okay but I've been having a bit of trouble starting it when it is hot.

You should stay with a regular style plug when using a Box like the MSD or Mallory Hy-fire. I would try going to a NGK plug BPR5EY11, I have good luck with these when using a Box.

Thanks
    Woody
    The Wedge Shop
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

6. #6 New Paint 
    Little Brit

Little Brit
    Paint turned out great! About how much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Looks really nice!!

Thanks
    Clint
    The Wedge Shop
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

9. #9 The new paint 
    Little Brit
    Vito, it was right at $4000 for all of the body work and paint. The drivers door had a big dent and the fender flares were all cracked and separating. It was real bargin in my mind. My interior is still a mess, but I have to have something to look forward to. At least I can drive it again, it was in the paint shop over two months.

Oh, and Clint, the pictures don't do it justice. The way the metal flake catches sunlight is awsome.

Ole Boy
    You gonna have that Green beauty at Portland next month?
    Don

"Stick a Wedge In It"