Thread: MANUAL TRANS FLUID

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Young Brit
    I've tried Redline MT90 and had no improvement. I would use Redline DT4 instead.

Brit
    It is my understanding that BL began specifying ATF at some point to alleviate the cold shifting problems. Originally 75W gear lube was specified. I ran ATF in mine at first with no apparent ill effects. However I switched when I learned about the GM "liquid gold" I get a discount from the GM dealer through my bussiness so that helps a bit. Can't say that I saw much difference between the GM fluid and ATF as far as shifting. Sort of a peace of mind thing for me.

Young Brit
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs
    Is Pennzoil Symchromesh a similar product, or does it just happen to have the same name?

Rob
    Yes, its the equivilant to GM's. In fact on the bottle it should say something like 'GM certfied' or 'formulated especially for GM cars'. Pennzoil is the brand Ive always used, and it worked well.

Young Brit
    Before I purchased my GM fluid, I went on some import tuner sites and found that there are actual 2 different types of the GM synchromesh fluid (GM Synchromesh fluid and GM Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid), the later being the more highly recommended. The friction modified brand is supposedly the really good stuff according to the Honda and Toyota crowd. It appears that the current foreign cars have issues with their shifting too and have been using this trans fluid for years. Anyways, I had to go to 3 different GM dealers to find the Friction Modified brand, but I got it and will install it on Monday. Let you know if it really makes any difference.
    Cost over $60.
    Found the Penzoil brand at Pep Boys for just around $40
    I might use the Penzoil brand in my TR6 and see which one improves the shifting best.

Little Brit
    Hi
    I always use Unipart MTF 94 in my gearbox and never had a problem, BMW use in some of there boxes (handy for me as i am a Tech. at a BMW dealership :wink: ) and 'there' version of the Mini.
    There is a great site for SD1 gearbox related stuff plus injection fixes here-

http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pages/Downloads/Rover_Tasters/Gearbox01.html

Ramon often posts on another forum some you gents visit ( Hi to you ) and on the SD1 forum is almost a god!! But does no his stuff and only live 10 miles from me!!!
    Cheers John

6. #16 GM synchromesh fluid--thumbs up 
    Little Brit
    Guys--When I got my TR8 last year--it had the redline oil in the transmission and it did all the things that many of you state your car(s) were doing--hard to shift cold, difficult to shift into second, etc. Woody advised to change over to the GM fluid and to change the shifter bushings over to poly. We also shortened the shifter while doing all this. My advice here is to do all three if you want the car to shift properly and cold or hot there is no noticeable difference in shifting. My shfter bushings were junk and the redline trans. fluid was brand new and more expensive than the GM fluid. Go to a GM parts dept and they should sell it to you cheaper since fewer cars run this fluid than in the past. Ask me how I know--Thanks Dan Perkins

Young Brit
    I changed the fluid to GM synchromesh friction modified fluid and the cold shifting issue has cleared up. The trans shifts smoother and it is now a pleasure to drive.
    Thanks for all the insight into resolving this problem.

Blue,

Glad to hear you got it resolved and that we could provide you with the proper direction.

Thanks
    TheWedgeshop.com
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

Young Brit
    I haven't had any problems with Redline D4. Perhaps it was redline MT90 originally?

Young Brit
    I did use Redline in my Miata years ago and it improved the shifting a great amount. I was going to try Redline in my TR8, but after hearing from the Wedgeshop about GM Synchro. I decided to go with the people that know TR8s. I'm glad I did, but I would imagine that Redline might work just as well.