Thread: MANUAL TRANS FLUID

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 MANUAL TRANS FLUID 
    Young Brit
    I just changed the fluid in my trans and read many different articles about which fluid to use. I ended up using semi-synthetic semi synthetic trans fluid. The trans shifts very hard when cold but smooths out as it warms up. I've been considering adding a 1/2 quart of semi. synthetic 75/90 gear oil to maybe help it when it's cold. Any thoughts or ideas on this. I'm a little confused on why it would be hard to shift when cold.

We use straight GM Synchromesh in all of our cars and have no problems hot or cold.

Thanks
    Clint
    TheWedgeshop.com
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

Brit
    GM syncromesh for me also. Any type of heavy gear oil (75/90) will make it worse. Mine has always been a bit crunchy going into second when cold, even with the GM fluid. Could be a syncro that's a bit lazy in my case. Only takes a few miles and then it's fine so I'm not overly concerned. Besides, I have a spare rebuilt box sitting on the shelf.

Young Brit
    I had synchromesh fluid in my original transmission and it shifted fine. My rebuilt trans has semi synthetic in it and like everyone else's it shifts lousy when its cold. Crunchy into 2nd, hard to get back into 1st, etc until it's warmed up. Once warm it shifts great. So I need to pick up another quart of Synchromesh and drain and refill it and hopefully life will be wonderful again.

Young Brit
    Do you just add a quart of GM syncro. or do you drain and refill the whole trans with the GM fluid. I will diffenetly switch to this fluid, but I need to know how to use it.
    Thanks

Young Brit
    I'd drain and refill the whole thing. It takes 3.3 pts according to the service manual.

Ole Boy
    Interesting, I have read it takes less than that. I wonder if I am way low on fluid.
    Don

"Stick a Wedge In It"

Brit
    Easy enough to find out. Take out the plug on the left side (15/16) and see if fluid runs out. If not, you need to add.

Young Brit
    I just priced 4 quarts of this GM trans fluid, a little pricey, over $60. If it works, it's well worth it. I will let you know.
    I was going to try Redline MT fluid which on my Miata worked great and is much less expensive, but after doing internet research, GM Symchromesh seems to be the one everyone is raving about, so I'll give it a try.

Young Brit
    Is Pennzoil Symchromesh a similar product, or does it just happen to have the same name?

Rob