Thread: Trim rail re & re

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Trim rail re & re 
    Spitfire
    Has anyone removed and replaced the trim rail at the top of the rocker panel? Getting the car painted soon, and am considering removing it for a better prep job. Looks like a chore to refit, with or without removing the mounting clips.

Ole Boy
    There is a good chance to break the small plastic clips that the trim strip snaps onto. However these clips are still available. There are 10 of the GHF1167 clips per side, and they are about $1.00 each through the major suppliers. The special front clips ZKC2272 however are no longer available.

The GHF1167 have a small round center pin that you can PUSH through into the rocker panel to allow you to extract the existing clips from the vehicle. Yes, you may loose those center pins, but you may get lucky to retrieve them through the drain holes...
    1979 Triumph TR8 Coupe
    1981 Triumph TR8 Convertible

Spitfire
    Thanks for the response. I have new mounting CLIPS assuming at least some would break upon removal. Is it the end caps you say are NLA? or some special mounting clip for near the ends. Also, is it a slide-on techniqie from the rear?

Ole Boy
    The End Caps are still available. If you need to see a decent parts exploded view, then go to Rimmer Brothers website. I found they have excellent representations from the original Triumph publications. As for how-to install/remove, I would say you simply "snap/push" it on, not slide along from the back.
    1979 Triumph TR8 Coupe
    1981 Triumph TR8 Convertible