Thread: Edelbrock four barrel conversion installation tips.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You can see how to run the hoses in the pictures if you look closely. Running the Buick style that you have is fine, the only reason for the by-pass is to get hot water to the heater core before the thermostat opens. We do not really worry about this due to fact most of us do not use our cars in colder weather. :lol:

Thanks
    TheWedgeshop.com
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

Spitfire
    Throw the wing nut that comes with the air cleaner away.... screw the threaded rod into the carb until you barely can get a small standard nut on it. I checked several times and thought I had the clearance. Maybe it was the movement of the engine but I have a very small ding in the hood from the wing nut.

3. #13 Question 
    Little Brit
    Okay, I tried to follow this procedure closely. My original problem was a stripped hole for the bottom of the thermostat housing. I ordered a new valley gasket from the Wedge Shop and pulled the Offenhauser 360 manifold to Helicoil the stripped hole. Now the thermostat housing no longer leaks but I'm getting coolant around the front bolt that goes through the valley gasket at the bottom of the V. Does this mean that I wasn't liberal enough with the Permatex Ultra Grey and one, or both of the water ports are leaking? Does it also mean that I need to order another gasket and do it all over?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Clark
    1980 TR8
    Vancouver, Washington

Hi Jim,

If you are talking about the bolt I think you are, any coolant you are seeing there must be pooling from some other leak. Can you tell where it is coming from? Lots of places around there that it could be.

If it is coming from the coolant passages between the head and intake, then I think you might have to redo the whole thing. But you could try snugging down the bolts a bit more. Just don't strip the holes in the head and make even more work for yourself!

-Darrell
    ---------------------------------
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Little Brit
    Thanks Darrell. You were quite right. I freaked out for nothing again. It looks like the new temp sender is the culprit. I've tried tightening it a bit more, but it's as tight as I dare now. If that doesn't work I'll have to pull it out and do a better job of sealing the threads or something.

What kind of washer did the new sender come with? I've seen some with a very thin metal one that I doubt would do much to seal. A good copper or fiber washer might be in order.
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Little Brit
    I think you've hit on the gist of the problem. The new sender did not come with a washer. I got it from the Wedge Shop on the same order as the valley gasket. At this point I don't remember if the old one had a washer or not. I used teflon tape on it which wasn't enough to seal it up. I need to take care of it somehow.

Take the sender to Napa, they have some drawers with fiber, copper and aluminum sealing washers. The threads on the sender are not tapered, so they are not going to seal very well.
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Little Brit
    I am planning on installing this kit on my TR8. Do you still use the stock coolant fitting and thermostat housing? Also, what do you with the throttle and choke linkage? Do you remove all the evaporative loss components? And what is the total amount of parts that need to be removed?
    Last edited by M1kem3; 10-17-2014 at 10:40 AM.

I used the stock thermostat housing, and bought a new coolant fitting for the back. The stock one works, but I decided to leave it with the original manifold.

I purchased a new throttle cable, because I didn't want to cut my original cable. The choke is electric on the Holley carb, so you just need to hook up an ignition switched power source.
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA