Thread: Edelbrock four barrel conversion installation tips.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Edelbrock four barrel conversion installation tips. 
    This is a step by step guide for installing your Edelbrock intake with some pictures of the finished 4 barrel conversion. We mainly give you a guide of how to apply sealant for the valley pan gasket so it sets correctly and does not leak.

What we used:
    Permatex Ultra Grey Automotive sealant. We prefer this because grey is less noticeable if there is excess sealant.

As seen in the first picture, we show you how important it is to seal up the space between the head & the block with sealant. The first photo shows the space unfilled. While the second photo shows the space filled with sealant.
    Picture 1
    Name:  intake1.jpg
Views: 2193
Size:  86.1 KB

Picture 2
    Name:  intake2.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  83.8 KB

The next step is to apply the end seals. They only go one way so there is no confusion.
    Picture 3
    Name:  intake3.jpg
Views: 2179
Size:  64.9 KB

Then apply a liberal amount of sealant to the top of the end seals like so. You can never have to much sealant, you can always just wipe off the excess after you are done bolting it down.
    Picture 4
    Name:  intake4.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  95.1 KB

Next apply and bolt down the valley pan gasket. Then apply a thin amount of sealant on the end water jackets for the front and back. There are 4 in total.
    Picture 5
    Name:  intake5.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  93.9 KB

Next lay the intake on. Partially screw in all the bolts at first. Then tighten from the inside out equally on both sides until they all snug down tight. You do not need to use a torque wrench if you follow the above method.
    Picture 6
    Name:  intake6.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  66.1 KB
    Picture 7
    Name:  intake7.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  93.1 KB

Picture 8
    Name:  intake8.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  67.6 KB

Picture 9
    Name:  intake9.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  74.9 KB

And now you are Done!
    Last edited by The Wedge Shop; 05-24-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

2. #2 Oil Leaking 
    Spitfire
    This is such a simple and easy fix, I wish I had remembered to do it when I re assembled my engine and I woudl not be cleaning up the oil that pools in my engine crevices

It is rather simply. Oil every where isn't a fun thing. Next time though!
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

4. #4 Sounds like a good winter garage fix 
    Spitfire
    I will add it to the growing list of things to do, I am glad I accidently ordered an extra vally pan from you guys a few years ago. I will fix the oil leaks and actually turn my carb around so it is not facing backwards.

Young Brit
    Do you guys snip the ends of teh end seals? EVERY one I have ever used was too long by a significant amount. We snip and then, as Woody says, fill in the spot where the end of the end seal sits in the "wedge" shaped hole with goo. Still, easy to get leaks here, especially under race conditions.

Spitfire
    I am new to this forum and new to the TR8. My car has a holley conversion and the valley pan gets filled with oil (at the back) . Gaskets on rocker covers are new. does the topic discussed here cure the problem that I have? if yes where is the oil coming from .I would like :?: to understand. Thanks.

Young Brit
    Yes, this thread is most likely the fix for your problem.

One other trick we learned in doing this many times -- let the sealant and the manifold set up over night before running the car. Helps with the sealing.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung
    Do you guys snip the ends of the end seals? EVERY one I have ever used was too long by a significant amount. We snip and then, as Woody says, fill in the spot where the end of the end seal sits in the "wedge" shaped hole with goo. Still, easy to get leaks here, especially under race conditions.
    No, we have never had to snip any of the seals. Some of the old fel-pro stuff was not made correctly for our cars. If you get the correct ends pictured above from us you will have no problems. Now with the composite valley gasket fits much nicer and we have never had a leaky setup with this. Most cars I have repaired with this condition I have found that there is no sealant present where we show it (head to block crevasse) or the support hold down has been over tighten and the seal has split.

Thanks
    TheWedgeshop.com
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by raffi
    I am new to this forum and new to the TR8. My car has a holley conversion and the valley pan gets filled with oil (at the back) . Gaskets on rocker covers are new. does the topic discussed here cure the problem that I have? if yes where is the oil coming from .I would like :?: to understand. Thanks.
    Raffi,

What you are explaining is common when this setup is not installed correctly. If you follow the steps above and get a nice composite valley pan gasket you will be all set. There is a lot of oil splashing around in there and it does tend to leak when not installed properly. Also if the crank case ventilation was routed incorretly when the 4 barrel conversion was completed it could severely worsen the oil leaking out.

Post a picture of your motor so we can check out how the crank case vent system is setup.

Give us a call if you need anything else.

Thanks
    TheWedgeshop.com
    508-880-5448
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

Little Brit
    How about some information on how to run the coolant hoses, once the original intake if off and replaced with the edelbrock? I noticed you have a cap on the water pump housing in the one pictured. I use the buick thermostat housing with the bypass hose and a pipe under the intake like stock. Is that right?????