Thread: Supercharging a 3.5

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Little Brit
    Will do.

Itching to get the motor out of the car. It was purchased as a crashed vehicle and someone has gas axed the front off. Apparently they may have burned the water pump pulley in the process.

If it just needs a waterpump and is not ridiculously high milage then that means I have a 4.0 litre instead of a 3.5 and I won't need to rebuild mine! That will save me so much money which can be spent on a second supercharger and still leave me with a lot of savings :twisted:

Don't know if it's 3.9 or 4.0 spec yet. Really hoping it's a 4.0 so I have the better exh mani's, stronger crank, rods and pistons as well as the x-bolted main caps. I am not expecting it to be though.

Little Brit
    Also, from when I sheared both engine mounts. Went home and got my spares. Bodged them in at the side of the road and drove home :-)

That's me under the car in the singlet. Not much room under there after I dropped the ride hight by about 2"...

Little Brit
    Hi Cammy,

Love tha stance of your car, will be great car with a Rover V8 in it 8) The 3.9 has the advantage over the 4 litre as the block does'nt suffer from the liner problems the later blocks do.

Cheers John

Little Brit
    Thanks, I definitely prefer it over the standard moon-buggy spec :lol: Good to hear i'm less likely to have liner issues although I can't see why if it's the same bore? Casting quality went backwards?

Anyone know how much boost I could push down one of these in standard form. Thinking about adding another SC14 8)

Little Brit
    It's a 3.9 May have second supercharger sorted too

Little Brit
    CVan we change the subject to Supercharging a 3.9? As I'll now be using a 3.9 from a Discovery. I Have got the second supercharger sorted too. Below are the specs.

The chargers I have are TX15's

Does anyone have an idea of the gearing I should use on a 3.9? Would I be looking at an (engine) rev-limit of 5,500rpm? so would 2-1 be a good ratio? Would the boost level (dependant on cam profile and intercooler efficiency, I know) be acceptable? Also, I would be looking to change the camshaft. Does anyone have a good idea for a suitable profile for a setup like this? The chargers have electric clutches and a bypass system so will need to work with them turned off; but in saying that I imagine even a reasonably aggressive profile shouldn't have much trouble with moving a 1250kg (2750lb) car at low RPM when you have nearly 4 litres working for you.

I was thinking or a more aggressive profile to limit low end torque and push power up nearer the top (as a form of traction control). The Triumph is much lighter than the Discovery the motor has come from and I don't think the standard profile (for an auto box) will work too well when supercharged and put into a much lighter (and manual) car. I think I would have too much torque down low to be usable.

Cheers
    Cam

Little Brit
    Anyone have any advice on suitable cam profiles?

Little Brit
    I think this is the gist of what I will need. Will have to investigate fuel pumps and crank triggers.

MSII - $266.00 - $313 NZD
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-programmable-efi-system-pcb30-kit-black-case-p-119.html

IGN-4 - $68.50 x2 - $137 - $161.58 NZD
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ign4-fourtower-coil-pack-p-409.html

BIP373 - $8.50 x2 - $17 - $20.05 NZD
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/bosch-bip373-coil-driver-mod-kit-p-230.html

MTX-L Wideband - $199 - $235.74 NZD
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/innovate-mtxl-gauge-sensor-controller-3844-p-467.html

Wiring Bundle - 12' - $46 - $54.26 NZD
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirt-wiring-bundle-1239-long-p-101.html

3.9 is a dizzy motor so can go fuel only at first then do spark when fuel is a-okay.

Cammy,

I am interested to see how the fuel injection setup goes with MegaSquirt. Keep us posted.

As for a cam. We have one specially designed for my turbo motor. We can do the same for your supercharged one. Cost is pretty much the same as a normal Cam.

Let us know if you need help.

Thanks
    Clint
    The Wedge Shop
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

Just saw your other questions.

I plan on running 10-15psi. I have ARP head studs and Cometic head gaskets on my motor. I will let you know how this goes.

As for gears. If you are only looking to run up to 5500 RPMS I really think any gearing should do.

What rear end are you running?

Thanks
    Clint
    The Wedge Shop
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com