Thread: differences in 3.5-4.6 ancillaries ?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 differences in 3.5-4.6 ancillaries ? 
    It has been about 10 years or more since I did a 3.5 to 4.6 swap in one of my Rovers, and I may have to do another one do to some excessive oil consumption on the wifes '85 110 . I just cant remember what ancillary pieces will and wont swap back and forth ? front covers, oil pumps, water pumps distributor set ups . Or am I better off with 3.9, 4.0 or 4.2's ? Almost tempted to find a junk yard with a fuel injected 3.9 (and use the simple injection system on a larger displacement 4.2, or 4.6 . I just need to verify what will bolt up and what wont . If it gets too complex I may just stick with the carburetor (although I would like to get better fuel economy and a little more power for the mountains than the 3.5 is currently putting out.
    Any input would be aprecated.

The 3.5 parts; front cover, crank pulley, alternator, PS pump, etc do work on the 4.0 & 4.6 engines with the exception of the cam. The 4.0 & 4.6 cams that have the short front cover do not have the provision for the distributor drive gear. You will need a spacer for the crank pulley. You can use the 3.5, 3.9 & 4.3 cams.

Using the front 4.0 & 4.6 covers on the 3.5 is a pain. The water pump is a reverse flow and a serpintine belt. You have 3 types of covers (2 actually) short front with the crank driven oil pump. The typical cover with either a machined distributor provision or the hole not machined with the crank driven oil pump.

With the short front cover without any distributor provision you have to shorten the stock 3.5, 3.9 & 4.2 and the distributored 4.0 & 4.6 oil pans.

Starters, flywheels, headers, intakes and valve covers are interchangable.

I hope that helps you out. Good luck.

are the 4.0; 4.2; and 4.6 blocks all sleeved ? (I guess my real question is when rebuilding one are they generally not re-bored like a standard iron bock rebuild that is normally over bored and larger rings are fitted.

All the rover blocks are sleeved. The BOP have sprayed/silcone type lining materials. You can bore the Rover V8 up to .060". I have one done to that. Typically there is no .010" overbore it jumps right to .020" to .040".

so to bore a 4.6 to .020" do you have to buy a new custom sleeve ?

You dont have to buy a new sleeve just over bore the existing to 4.6 standards to +.020". I have a 3.5 that is .060" overbore and it has held together with no issues. The pistons might not be available but it is something you can get a custom piston to fit.