Thread: '81 TR7 barn find

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 '81 TR7 barn find 
    Spitfire
    I found a '81 TR7 in a storage unit (been there since '02) with 712 actual miles. The original owner bought it new and kept it in a garage until his death and that is when his wife found out he had it. The body is perfect but it needs a new conv. top and interior.
    My question is how much of a pain is the fuel injection to work on and what might it be worth when brought back to life? She wants 2K OBO. Worth it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ole Boy
    The fuel injection on the late TR7's is all Bosch, so for anyone familiar with late 70's and early 80's EFI on BMW and other such European cars, anything EFI is easily diagnosed. If the body truly is good, hoping the storage facilty was not extremely damp, the price is very good.
    1979 Triumph TR8 Coupe
    1981 Triumph TR8 Convertible

Young Brit
    If there is no rust, then I would say it is worth it, but there is still going to be a lot of work getting an engine back into shape that has sat that long.

You can spend a LOT of time and money getting rid of rust. If you don't have to spend anything getting rid of rust, then you are ahead of the game.

That few miles sounds very tempting, but do not buy it if you only considering this if you are thinking you will make money on it. It is very rare that you make money on a wedge. If you like the car and like working on cars then by all means do it. Just do not consider it an investment.

Rob

4. #4 barn find 
    Spitfire
    Did you buy it?

5. #5 Re: '81 TR7 barn find 
    Spitfire
    Quote Originally Posted by Dea Thayer
    I found a '81 TR7 in a storage unit (been there since '02) with 712 actual miles. The original owner bought it new and kept it in a garage until his death and that is when his wife found out he had it. The body is perfect but it needs a new conv. top and interior.
    My question is how much of a pain is the fuel injection to work on and what might it be worth when brought back to life? She wants 2K OBO. Worth it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    If you don't buy it let me know where it is.

Young Brit
    hi nick, thanks for stopping by last week. I warned you you would be wanting more wedges.

Spitfire
    Quote Originally Posted by philman
    hi nick, thanks for stopping by last week. I warned you you would be wanting more wedges.
    It's addictive. Thanks for the parts.

Here is an active site: http://www.forum.triumphtr7.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

8. #8 cleaners gently 
    Little Brit
    what should one use to get the dash in good shape? any good meguire cleaner shiner. mine's been in a barn for 5 years.