Thread: New member TR7/LS6/Powerglide/8.8

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New member TR7/LS6/Powerglide/8.8 
    Little Brit
    Been wanting to do a LS TR7 for awhile but never could find the right car. But this past June one popped up on Craigslist that was the perfect car. However due to the Texas summer heat, June, July, August is just too hot for me to start on it. Strangely we have had a cooler than expected August so I started working on the car some. I have got about 10 days into it now.

So far I got the car completely tore down, fabbed up some front aluminum motor plates, got the LS6 in and the powerglided mounted. I was able to use the factory transmission cross member as the powerglide sat perfectly in the factory trans location, just had to add a small piece of flat bar so it would bolt down. The LS6 came with the batwing oil pan and it fits perfectly. I did add a couple notches in the fire wall and had to clearance the trans tunnel some on the driver side for the shifter linkage. Threw the mustang 8.8 under the car this afternoon, going to try to figure out what/how I'm going to set it up. Its a 8.8 out of a 2000 Mustang that swapped in some let over 4 lug axles that I had left over from another project. I'm using a disc brake conversion from Scared bird, the 8.8 is 2" longer than the factory TR7 axle and I will be able to make up the difference with the wheels I got.

I will update as progress is made, hope to having it running/driving and ready for paint in 4weeks. Picks below are the new seats, fuel tank, wheels, ect.
    Attached Images      

2. 08-31-2016, 11:15 PM

Little Brit
    Name:  tr7ls6.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  86.8 KB
    Last edited by tonypaul; 09-01-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Young Brit
    That looks terrific, will be following your progress.

Paul

Little Brit
    Had a few hours today to mess with the car... After getting the Mustang 8.8 rear end up under the car I started on thinking on how I wanted to mount it. Suprsing the
    factory TR7's lower control arms will bolt right into the lower control arms mounting area of the Mustang 8.8. I will have to run some spacers as the TR7 control arms
    are more narrow thant the Mustangs 8.8. And I think I can fab up some spacers so that the TR7 rear sway bar still can be used. So the plan is to just make it a 4 link style
    suspension setup. I ordered some adjustable upper control arms for a lifted Jeep. These seem to give me the amount of lenght I need to make it work. The down side is
    I going to have to move my fuel cell. It still might have fit but it wasnt going to leave much room for the articulation movement of the suspension since I plan on
    having the car pretty low.. So I deceide to move it to the fuel cell to the trunk. I just cut/welded some notches so the fuel cell could be mounted.

I will update again when I get the rest of the suspension parts in.

BTW- other than Ebay/Craigslist is a good place to try to get rid of some of these bigger left over TR7 parts? Im in Texas and it doesnt seem like alot of
    demand for these kind of parts. I got these TR7 parts- rear axle, fuel tank, tires/wheels, a complete 3.9 fuel injected Rover motor, other misc stuff.

Name:  tr7-9216 008.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  91.7 KB

Wow very cool project. Where in Texas are you located?
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

Little Brit
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wedge Shop View Post
    Wow very cool project. Where in Texas are you located?
    Im in Austin

Little Brit
    welded in a little step down tray for the shifter Im using. This shifter came out of a Ford Fusion and it sits kinda high. I will be building a custom center console to house it and some gauges, a ipad and some cup holders.
    Name:  tr7shifter 004.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  98.7 KB

Very cool. I am in Austin as well, near the domain. Will have to swing by to check out the project. The Wedge Shop is in Boston, MA, but I (Clint) run the online business here from Austin.
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

Little Brit
    Name:  9816tr7 005.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  89.7 KB
    painted my engine bay satin white and polished my motor plates today. The upper contol arms for the Mustang 8.8 came in this afternoon i will getting those setup tomorrow. Side note- i have new bolts for the motor plates, i wont be using the ulgy bolts that are in there now.

Little Brit
    This afternoon I put in the Mustang 8.8 rear, the lowers control arms are a direct bolt in. I did add 2 aluminum 1/2"(total 1") spacers on the out side of the mount to make up the difference of the width between the TR7 and the mustang 8.8 control arms. For the upper control arms I ran a piece of 2"x3" square metal tube across the top of the frame rails. From the I just cut up some 1/4 flat bar and made some mounts and welded them to the 2"x3" after getting the rear end where I wanted it.

Attachment 0Name:  9916tr7 002.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  82.3 KBName:  9916tr7 003.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  86.6 KBName:  9916tr7 004.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  89.3 KBName:  9916tr7 005.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  86.7 KB