Thread: TR7/8 Coilovers

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 TR7/8 Coilovers 
    Young Brit
    I have bot the 4.6 up and running, it's become obvious that I need to replace the shocks all around. The rears are just crying out for a pair of coilovers. I can find some available from Hamilton on the UK but they are expensive.
    It looks like such a simple product I am surprised they are not available. Can anyone point me in the correct direction, make your own? Off the shelf?

Thanks

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by FastG View Post
    I have bot the 4.6 up and running, it's become obvious that I need to replace the shocks all around. The rears are just crying out for a pair of coilovers. I can find some available from Hamilton on the UK but they are expensive.
    It looks like such a simple product I am surprised they are not available. Can anyone point me in the correct direction, make your own? Off the shelf?

Thanks

Graham
    So one question I've never seen answered, are the rear shock mounts sufficient to carry the full weight of the car?
    ---------------------------------
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Young Brit
    The TR7 race car had them, but also lots of reinforcements. They were Carrera QA1s

Last edited by TR8; 08-02-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Young Brit
    Darrell, good question. I plan to phone Hamilton in the UK and will ask. From the little info I can find there is nothing about stiffening the chassis. I did find a reference to a kit that welded on and moved the shocks inboard so you could run wider tires.

I think Woody has a setup on his reg car, maybe he will chime in.

Graham,

Young Brit
    I could not find much info on reinforcing the shock top mount, I have attached a pic of what one guy did, but everyone else did not see a problem

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1280951004

Graham