Thread: Oversized Tires wanted on TR7

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Oversized Tires wanted on TR7 
    Hello all!
    I just bought my first Triumph. Its a 1980 TR7 5 Speed Convertible. The car is a Southwest Zero rust, Zero Dent free, Running Driving car that just needs a top, interior, and a good paint job that I paid a whopping $640!
    I own a restoration shop and will be handling it all including the TR8 Conversion with a Rover 3.5
    On to my question. I want to lower the vehicle 2" all around. Which brand would most recommend? I want a firm sport car handling and feel.
    Also, I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new set of tires and wheels. The size is 15x8 4x100 +25.
    I am going to be purchasing the 4x100 hub conversion from the wedge shop to have a greater selection of wheels, so these will fit stud wise. What about spacer? I am planning on rolling the fenders to help accommodate the extra width. I am OK with the wheels sticking out of the fenders up to half an inch.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers!

Ole Boy
    Welcome-
    You're going to have a problem driving around with that car lowered that much. As it is most at 1" scrape all over the place.
    How BIG a wheel and tire combo you looking for?
    A lot of us use 205/50/15's
    Name:  DSCF3003.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  94.9 KB
    Don

"Stick a Wedge In It"

Hi Don.
    Thanks for the response.
    I noticed everyone mostly runs the 205/50r15 as you stated. I was wondering if I can squeeze a 225 in there.
    I noticed your pic has a set of coilovers. I am very interested in getting a set front and rear if available. I googled tr7 coilovers and saw the wedge shop had them. I looked up on the suspensions link and came up empty handed.
    What brand, and who sells them? The coulovers would be ideal. I can really dial in my ride height and spring rates then.
    Last edited by MadTiki; 03-26-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Hello,

Don is right, you will want to just go with the standard 1 to 1 1/4 in drop. Don has standard springs on this car (correct me if I am wrong Don), which can be sourced from numerous vendors, including ourselves.

The coilover setups are quite pricey, but we can put something together if you wish. There is not coil over setup for the rear.

Lowering Springs
    The Wedge Shop
    Fast.British.Reliable.
    www.thewedgeshop.com

Ole Boy
    I better not have.
    I ordered 1" drop.
    Maybe that's why I think, and have expressed many times, my car sits to high
    Woody, did you ship me the wrong springs??
    Last edited by Don Kelly; 03-26-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Don

"Stick a Wedge In It"

Quote Originally Posted by MadTiki View Post
    I was wondering if I can squeeze a 225 in there.
    I have the 205/50r15 on mine, on Rota RB 15x7, +25 offset wheels. I don't have any interference with the fenders (front or back), but there is very little space between the inside of the wheel/tire and the front strut. Some do report rubbing on the front with that setup. I think you would probably be OK on the rears going that wide, but it would take a bit of work on the front. I also have Woody's 1" lower springs.

Name:  IMG_3770 copy.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  98.2 KB
    ---------------------------------
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Don,
    From my iphone it looked like coilovers.
    A 1" drop isnt enough for me. I want the wheel opening to si low enough to cover a little bit of tire.
    I guess I can take some measurements and find a spring height from another application that I can retro fit.
    What brand strut/shocks would be recommended for a firm sporty ride?
    I have Bilstein/ H&R set up in my e30 with a 1.5" drop and am very happy with it.
    Unfortunately they dont have an application for the TR7

Quote Originally Posted by darrell_walker View Post
    I have the 205/50r15 on mine, on Rota RB 15x7, +25 offset wheels. I don't have any interference with the fenders (front or back), but there is very little space between the inside of the wheel/tire and the front strut. Some do report rubbing on the front with that setup. I think you would probably be OK on the rears going that wide, but it would take a bit of work on the front. I also have Woody's 1" lower springs.

Attachment 505
    That setup looks really nice
    I may be able to squeeze a 215 with a 10mm spacer possibly. I would use a hubcenyric one of course.
    I plan on converting the hubs to 4x100 to make for more wheel style choices.

Ole Boy
    I plan on selling my 15X7's so I can get a new set
    15X7 in the front and 15X8 in the rears
    That's the front shock you see so in a way it is coil overs
    Can't remember Darrell, did you replace your springs?
    From what has been reported on the TWOA site the Revington springs drop the best

On Shocks, very limited choice.
    No Bilstein,or koni
    Last edited by Don Kelly; 03-26-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    Don

"Stick a Wedge In It"

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kelly View Post
    Can't remember Darrell, did you replace your springs?
    Yes, they are from Woody. We never did figure out why yours doesn't look this low. I wouldn't want to go any lower, as I have to be careful over every speed bump. The stock springs sat higher, but we softer, so the net was about the same.
    ---------------------------------
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA