Thread: 1976 Victory US edition

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 1976 Victory US edition 
    Can anyone clarify for me if the proper wheel nut for the spoke wheels(wagon wheel) fit flush to the wheel or is there a lock washer spacer required for proper fitment? Thanks, Gerry

Little Brit
    I don't know about the spoke wheels per say, but I do have previous experience in the auto repair and tire service industry. I can say if the lug nuts are shanked, then they require a washer to hold properly. But the washer is not a lock washer. Do not use a lock washer because lugnuts hold in place on their own and a lock washer will not help in any way. However, before you get too carried away, if I recall correctly, the Victory Edition wagon wheels were factory recalled due to cracking? Did they replace the defective wheels with identical wheels or switch to the regular steel wheel. I know people like having factory look but if those wheels were recalled, then I would be very concerned about safety.

Thanks for the response and valid concern for safety. The recall was not inclusive as wheels with lettered stamp "A' thru "J' were excluded. Your reference to "shanked" puzzles me but if I take a drill bit, the shaft going into the drill is the shank. On the wheel nut there is a short shank that that has a flat end that threads on the wheel stud flush to the wheel surface(no taper) then a bit of a valley and then the rounded part the wrench fits over. I cannot see any evidence of markings in the wheel surface that would indicate the use of a washer. I picked the car up out of a barn wheels off and found the lug nuts in a can with other bits but no washers. What type of washer would be employed if any ? Thanks gerry

Little Brit
    As I said before, I am not familiar with the original wheel; however what you describe, the lugnuts are shanked. And as I am certain the wheel is thin where it mates to the hub, then you would require short shanked lugnuts. That is the proper name anyway. Although I guess it is possible not to use a washer, I seriously doubt not using a washer is a good idea. The reason for the washer is increase the mounting surface of the lugnut, and in many instances, the washer is used to center the wheels more accurately. The best advise I can give is to take a wheel to tire shop, preferable one that deals with aftermarket wheels, and ask them to find a lugnut that with work with the wheels. The thread pattern is a very common 12x1.5mm. At least the TR7/8 I have dealt with had this pitch. The only thing you would need to worry about, and perhaps unique is the shank length, aka shaft length. The shank can NOT be longer than the thickness of the washer and wheel. As long as the shank passes through the wheel hole without being loose around the lugnut, then you should be just fine.

Young Brit
    Mine had the normal stock chrome steel wheel lug nut, without the plastic washer to hold the hub cap on.

Thanks Peter, that's what I have. Do you recall the torque? Gerry

I am looking for victory edition for sale I'm on the west cost .

Administrator
    We will have this car for sale in a few months - http://thebritishcar.com/showthread....ictory-Edition