Thread: gas filling tips???

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 gas filling tips??? 
    Young Brit
    So I went to fill the gas at the station for the first time today in my 8 and almost was a disaster....the newer gas nozzles shoot gas out the sides...needless to say had to use a funnel and fill a gas can to be successful......am I doing something wrong????? (it's entirely possible hah) tips appreciated...the little flapper does not open much in the filler neck- not sure if that's normal

Ole Boy
    I might know your problem, let me see if you can check...

The restrictor and that little flap are an assembly that is spot-welded inside the actual gas filler neck. Sometimes the welds are weak, break, and the whole inside restrictor part can slide down to where the pipe turns a corner. This prevents the little flap from opening. You stuff a gas station nozzle in, the flap won't open, and WHOOSH. Your disaster of a gasoline flood!

Try this. Stick a finger into the top of the restrictor, and try to pull the whole inside assembly UP. If it is loose and pulls up, you can usually hold it up while you insert the pump nozzle with your second hand.

If that is it, the fix is not that simple, requires you to disconnect and remove the upper filler neck. You need to access 3 posidrive screws from the top filler area, and also access hose clamps from inside the trunk behind that black metal panel held with 4 screws. Those 3 screws from the top can be rusted and seized in, so be careful. They are not really Phillips heads, and a Phillips screwdriver can wreck the screw heads. Try to find a proper Posidrive screwdriver. Yes, Sears does have them...
    1979 Triumph TR8 Coupe
    1981 Triumph TR8 Convertible

Ole Boy
    Oh yeah, I realise those special gas station nozzles (vapor-recovery??) may complicate your situation...
    1979 Triumph TR8 Coupe

Young Brit
    If the restricter is loose. Then you can open the access panel in the trunk, undo the clamps, remove the three screws in the cap area and remove the whole assembly. It takes a little wiggling and pulling to get the metal part our of the rubber hose. Then take a hack saw and cut the filler tube off right where it starts to neck down to the smaller diameter. Then remove the restricter that's loose. Throw it away and the smaller diameter pipe. Now your tank will hold two more gallons and will fill faster. If you fill to full capacity you will lose some expansion room in the tank. So, only fill to capacity when traveling or are going to use a couple of gallons before parking on hot days. But, I have never had a problem with expansion and I use to live in AZ with really hot days. Some of the safety nazis will have a problem with doing this, but, I never have experience anything negative. The restrictor is only there to prevent filling with leaded fuel.... those days are over and all fuel is un leaded now except for racing and av gas.

Young Brit
    thanks fellas

Young Brit
    Update....gas flapper assem. was loose and fell down the tube....hence causing a mess, figured out how to fill it now- thanks a million guys!!

Ole Boy
    If you don't mind to keep the restrictor, and DON'T want to disasemble to remove it completely, your other option is to stuff a large rag into the hole from the top, drill a small hole through the outside pipe, then remove the rag and any metal shavings. Pull the restrictor assembly up to its proper top-of-tube location, and drive a self-tapping screw through the hole so it can prevent the restrictor from falling again.
    1979 Triumph TR8 Coupe

Young Brit
    how does removing the restrictor assembly give you more tank capacity?

Ole Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbb88
    how does removing the restrictor assembly give you more tank capacity?
    Yes, I'd like to know that magic trick too... you are still filling the same tank immediately below the neck.
    1979 Triumph TR8 Coupe