Thread: Accelerator Cable

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Accelerator Cable 
    Spitfire
    I have been having issues with my accelerator cable . After driving the car for able 20 miles or so, it is hard to depress the accelerator pedal. It becomes very stiff and when you continue to drive the car you have to almost stand on the pedal to depress it then the cable brakes. I have had three cables put on the car by my mechanic in the last 70 miles. He is checking into to this as well. It is getting to the point that I am not confident to drive the car any distance from my home. When a new cable is placed on the car the accelerator pedal has no resistance at all. Performs like it should. But it seems that as soon as the vehicle gets to operating temperature it starts to develop resistance.

Please help.

Railroagh

Have you confirmed that is it indeed the cable, and not some other part of the linkage that is the problem? Any signs of heat damage on the cable?
    ---------------------------------
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Sounds like too much return spring!

4. #4 Accelerator Cable 
    Spitfire
    Quote Originally Posted by darrell_walker View Post
    Have you confirmed that is it indeed the cable, and not some other part of the linkage that is the problem? Any signs of heat damage on the cable?
    Thanks for responding to my problem. There is no indication of any heat related issues that my mechanic nor I can see, nor have we found any other linkage problems. Remember, when a new cable is installed, there is no resistance to the accelerator petal. I don't drive my Triumph everyday, maybe 3-days a week and not a great distance.

The first time it broke was when my mechanic after my mechanic did a tune up and some other maintenance issues. When I picked the car up and drove it home, about 60 miles, during the trip, the accelerator got harder and hard to depress and then broke. Fortunately, I had just turned off the interstate. He came to my location and placed a new cable on the car. I got home about 10 miles from that location and the resistance was back, just not as bad.

Railroadgh

Young Brit
    Well, more information on this problem would be nice. With the limited info, I'm guessing you have having a grounding issue. The engine is grounding through the accelerator cable, as it heats up the inner cable starts to bind and finally breaks. Check for a grounding strap on the engine, check for clean contacts on the ground strap, run a new ground strap.

Peter, good thought about grounding. More than a few accelerator cables have fried when they became the primary ground path. I didn't think about that because they are usually spectacular and total failures.
    ---------------------------------
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

7. #7 Accelerator Cable 
    Spitfire
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Nuss View Post
    Well, more information on this problem would be nice. With the limited info, I'm guessing you have having a grounding issue. The engine is grounding through the accelerator cable, as it heats up the inner cable starts to bind and finally breaks. Check for a grounding strap on the engine, check for clean contacts on the ground strap, run a new ground strap.
    Thanks for your response. I will have my mechanic look into this.

Spitfire
    Have you nailed down this problem yet? I was having a problem with the throttle cable not operating smoothly when the car was hot. I found something that said the problem can be caused by incorrect routing of the throttle cable and it included a diagram for proper routing. I re-routed the cable and it now works fine.

Name:  Throttle cable routing2.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  61.8 KBName:  Throttle cable routing1.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  49.4 KB
    Bob
    1980 TR7 DHC