Thread: TR-7 Cylinder HD Studs

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 TR-7 Cylinder HD Studs 
    Little Brit
    Three questions;
    1. Any hints on removing the TR-7 cylinder hd studs when the two nut method isn't working? I've managed to get 1 out of 5 studs out. My next approach is to get a "crows foot" so I can apply a bigger lever arm (more force) to break the stud lose. In a couple instances I've ended up turning both of the nuts that I jammed together. "Blaster" hasn't helped. In my opinion the Cylinder Hd is improperly designed as there isn't sufficient room for the head of the flat "spanner". My Cylinder Hd Studs have nuts that require an 11/16" "spanner". Of course this whole situation raises the question Why studs? One or two would be good for installation alignment, but 5 seems unnecessary. :-(
    2. Do the cylinder hd studs really need to be removed in order to get the cylinder hd off the engine?
    3. When replacing a head gasket is it recommended or mandatory that new bolts and studs be used? Or once cleaned up can the originals be reused?
    Thanks for any info. Paul C.

Hi Paul,

Studs are actually a better fastener when accurate torque is required. I know that doesn't help your issue.

I don't have a TR7, but the TWOA has built a tool to aid in removal of the head, you don' t need to remove the studs:

http://www.triumphwedgeowners.org/tw...l-rentals.html

-Darrell
    ---------------------------------
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

3. 07-20-2012, 07:15 AM

Little Brit
    Darrell;
    Something is screwy with my account But thank you very much for the info on the Head Removal tool. I've added the TWOA to my "favorites" list. I think my problem is the result of a previous owner using some kind of stud setting compound like loctite. I wonder if the Wedge Shop has one of the tools. If so maybe I can rent it as they are not too far from me. Thanks again. Paul C.

5. 09-04-2014, 05:05 AM