Thread: Miata Seats Installed

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Young Brit
    Darrell's method of mounting works much better and gets rid of a very hard object on the inside cushion of each seat that "could" be annoying for a wide body like me on a long drive.

Young Brit
    I finally got the door panels on last Friday. I drove it to the British Car Day show at Lars today and it was very comfortable and nice to hear the stereo when on the highway. I have to take the passenger door panel back off, as the backing does NOT fit the door properly and it is causing a pull near the upper courtesy light, but that is for another day.

Name:  miatatr8 159 (Medium).jpg
Views: 578
Size:  88.7 KBName:  miatatr8 163 (Medium).jpg
Views: 538
Size:  90.9 KBName:  miatatr8 164 (Medium).jpg
Views: 526
Size:  88.1 KB

Little Brit
    Paul,

The Miata seats look great.

How would you compare or rate them versus the stock TR8 seats for height and support?
    Mr Mike: do you know Mr Mike manufactures Cloth seat covers (in addition to leather)? I will need covers for Miata seats for my TR6 and would prefer cloth.

MrMike stocks leather, vinyl, and has a velour-type cloth for doing inserts. You can see examples here: http://mrmikes.com/miatahome.htm

However, he is doing a set in full-faced fabric for mine, I sourced some tweed-type fabric that I think compliments the Golden Tan in my TR8. They are supposed to get started on them this week, so I can post pictures of the results in a couple of week.
    ---------------------------------
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Young Brit
    TeeR8,

I think that the seats are firmer and have better bolster support, but when there is none to start with, that is easy. I feel much better with the higher headrests and I love the speakers in my ears. I also have these in my TR6, so I'm a fan of the Miata seats. I don't feel much higher than the stock seats.

Paul

Little Brit
    Thank you Paul,

I have Miata seats for my TR6, which I plan to install before the trip to the 2012 TRials in Niagara, using your great instructions!
    They will need new covering and I plan to have cloth covers, either custom made here or buy 'ready to install' covers.
    Henri
    1980 TR8, Platinum
    1975 TR6, Signal Red
    1971 MGB GT, Midnight Blue
    Calgary, Alberta

Young Brit
    Henri, be careful with the "ready to install" covers, as they may simply be slip on covers for over the upholstery, as in the sheepskin styles that are available. The covers from Mr. Mike and several other places are replacement seat trims, made to actually replace the original upholstery after any needed foam repairs and speakers are completed. Hence, the extra expense, but absolute "like new" appearance.

Did you get the next generation seat brackets from ARE for the installation? Much improved with longer slots for easier fittings of the seats in the tighter TR6 cockpit.

My cloth covers just got finished.

It will be a week before they arrive from Florida, it will be a long 7 days!

Name:  darrelldone.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  95.5 KB
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by darrell_walker View Post
    I'll let Paul talk about his upholstery, but the seats you would want would be first generation Miata (called "NA"). Within the first generation, there was two versions of the seats. The earlier seats don't have the seat belt receiver attached to the seat, and the base has a different shape. The later version does have the seat belt receiver attached to the seat (but you probably don't want to use it, it would be way to high with the Wedge receiver that is mean to mount to the track). The backs are the same. Paul has the later seats, and they appear that they might be a bit lower in the seat base, but we've compared measurements and I think they are the same. The mounts are identical (as well as the second generation, NB seats, but those have a very different back, and don't have head rest speakers).

The first generation Miatas are 90-97 (some sources say as early as 89, and late as 98), and the early/late seats split somewhere in the middle.
    Paul or Darrell:

Do either of you have a picture of your cars from a distance to get a perspective on how the seats look in relation to the whole car?

Pat L

I don't really have any further away than Paul has posted. Mine are out of the car and stripped down for the new covers (which should be here tomorrow), I can take some new pictures once they are back in. Here is the best I have for now.

Name:  IMG_0692.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  73.2 KB
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA