Thread: Miata Seats Installed

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Miata Seats Installed 
    Young Brit
    Last night I installed the new Miata seat with the new upholstery from Mr. Mikes. Like my TR6, I installed the upgraded Millennium speakers in the headrests and they do sound good hooked up to the radio, with the stock-speakers still working. Tomorrow night the all vinyl door panels go in and the plaid interior will all be safely stored in the basement.

Seat brackets are from Darrell Walker design. I only offered measurements and ideas, he did all of the work. Last pic is of splitter for radio speaker wires.

Name:  miatatr8 153 (Large).jpg
Views: 3172
Size:  92.8 KBName:  miatatr8 144 (Large).jpg
Views: 2529
Size:  95.7 KBName:  miatatr8 145 (Large).jpg
Views: 3464
Size:  93.8 KBName:  miatatr8 132 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1617
Size:  88.6 KB
    Last edited by Brosky; 06-14-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Little Brit
    Looks great. Curious about the seat cover material. Did you have that custom built at a upholstery shop or was it a kit. I am not familiar with Mr. Mikes How did you do the TR8 insignia? Was it just created with a sewing machine or was it a patch. Also, what year seats did you start with out of the Miata? Again, looks fantastic, and just another item to put on the wish list.
    Last edited by tr8acm; 06-15-2012 at 07:41 PM.

I'll let Paul talk about his upholstery, but the seats you would want would be first generation Miata (called "NA"). Within the first generation, there was two versions of the seats. The earlier seats don't have the seat belt receiver attached to the seat, and the base has a different shape. The later version does have the seat belt receiver attached to the seat (but you probably don't want to use it, it would be way to high with the Wedge receiver that is mean to mount to the track). The backs are the same. Paul has the later seats, and they appear that they might be a bit lower in the seat base, but we've compared measurements and I think they are the same. The mounts are identical (as well as the second generation, NB seats, but those have a very different back, and don't have head rest speakers).

The first generation Miatas are 90-97 (some sources say as early as 89, and late as 98), and the early/late seats split somewhere in the middle.
    ---------------------------------
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Young Brit
    Mr. Mikes is in Florida and he makes custom upholstery for the Miata and Fiero seats that are installed into everything from MG's, TR6's. TR8's and Corvettes. They use the Fiero seats like crazy, believe it or not. In any event my TR6 has Miata seats that were from a 1993 and they did not have the seat belt slider on the sides. The seats in my TR8 are from a 1995 and they did have them. I removed the brackets and seat belt retainers and cut the seat frame support off with my Dremel and a cutting wheel. Pics are below.

Mike had his embroiderer do the TR8 stitching into the panel for it on each seat. He has the logo's for TR6, 7, and 8.

You can see how the slider rail mounts on the side of the seat and attaches to the welded bracket on the seat frame.

Name:  miatatr8 058 (Medium).JPG
Views: 2012
Size:  85.1 KB

Forget the seat track mounting brackets that you see on the picture above. That was a failed attempt to adapt the ARE TR6 brackets to the TR8 floor pan and it will not work.

Name:  miatatr8 108 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  miatatr8 115 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  95.9 KB
    Last edited by Brosky; 06-17-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Ole Boy
    Splain it to me again ,Lucy.
    Why can't those be used?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kelly View Post
    Splain it to me again ,Lucy.
    Why can't those be used?
    The ARE TR6 brackets, or the Miata seat belt mount bracket?
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Ole Boy
    The thingies that Paul cut off

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kelly View Post
    The thingies that Paul cut off
    They would put the receiver up really high, if using the original Wedge receiver. If you have a replacement belt, with a much shorter stalk on the receiver, you could probably use them.
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Ole Boy
    No shorter receiver that would bolt to that?
    Though, don't even remember if mine has that

Here is how we ended up mounting them. The stock attachment is to the seat rail, so another inch or two lower than this, even. Using the Miata mount (which is on the later seats, mine don't even have them) would put the receiver another inch or two higher, and I think a bit more forward as well.
    Attached Images  
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
    Vancouver, WA, USA